Monday, August 20, 2012

Celebrate the Milestones

Good stuff first:

Over the weekend, Aunt Kendene contributed to the "Laura and Jenny are poor as hell fund" and got us some sweet new bikes. Let me take a few minutes to review with you the rules my parents have established for our new peddlers. Oh yeah, this happened, I couldn't even make it up. Here we go: 1. Hands must remain on the handle bars at all times, no exceptions. 2. No wheelies. 3. No taking bikes off any sweet jumps. 4. No giving rides to our friends on the pegs on our bikes. 5. No sitting on the handle bars and riding backwards (Now with this one they are just encouraging behaviors).  For some reason I get the feeling that the rules pertain more to me than to Jenny. For heaven's sake, I am still in awe that I can remember how to ride the damn thing. I am not going to jeopardize my limbs on the first day. I am gonna wait at least a week to start my "stunt riding".

Anways, If I could dispense any words of wisdom it would be this: don't get too busy to celebrate the milestones.  Tonight Jenny and I rode our bikes 1.3 miles. When we finished you would have thought we just completed the Tour De France. We whooped and hollared and truly celebrated.  Perhaps, this is because we only made it 4 blocks ( I think I am being generous in this estimation) last night and were celebrating the fact that we lived.....Regardless, we went farther tonight than we did last night. The plan is to extend it even more tomorrow night.

The point is whether we go half a mile or four miles, we are still going. It may not be fast.  It may not be attractive. We may have to wait until after dark to go, but by God we do it, which is far more than we were doing just a few short weeks ago....

Sad stuff Now:

I am only "officially" weighing in on Wednesdays but I have cheated and hopped on the scale a few times this week.The scale hasn't seemed to drastically moved. I feel like I am eating the right things and moving more than ever but nothing seems to happen. Slowly, I am beginning to see that the numbers on the scale do not define me or this journey. Have I lost 5 pounds this week? No. Do I feel better? Yes.

Reminder to myself:
The weight did not come on overnight nor will it leave in such a fashion............ 



No comments:

Post a Comment