Wednesday, September 5, 2012

I can't figure out why I am fat

A Vanderbilt University study found that the average adult burns 1.3 calories per minute while laughing. I will be the first to shout from the roof top that I come from a long line of crazies. Serious, we are all nuts, not in a creepy way, but in a 'not afraid to get down with our bad self's', kinda way. The majority of the time I spend with my family I am usually laughing at someone's shenanigans. Over the years, this has paved the way for quite a few entertaining stories. You will hear a lot of these stories through this blog. Although, I can't help but wondering, if laughing burns calories, how in the hell did I end up fat? Apparently you can't out-laugh a bad diet and sedentary lifestyle. Who knew?


Anyways, speaking of stories, I believe now is the time to dispense a goody from last night....

____________________________________________________________________________________


Who needs the fair when you are a direct descendant of a 3-ring circus?


Yesterday we went out to the farm to help my parents load their goats into the stock trailer.  I should mention that these "pet" goats are about as tame as wild zebras. I should have known that things were not going well when we arrived because Mom zipped by us on the 4-wheeler, shouting something along the lines of Dad losing his mind and wanting to shoot the goats. (Oh, good, something different for a change)


Turns out, catching these goats was no small feat. It involved three ropes and about 750 variations of the "F" word, from my father. We finally got them caught and all seemed to be well. (Hang on children, this is where the story gets good.) Dad was leading the roped goats to the coral when one of them decided he had, had enough of Kendall's B.S. and rammed his horns into the back of Dad's knee, knocking him to the ground. It was then that I witnessed all rationality leave that man. He put that goat in some sort of head-lock (Whitesel Farm meets W.W.F, real classy) declaring that he was gonna break the goat's neck using his legs. This whole time he had the craziest look in his eyes.  I am also gonna have to leave out the direct quotes of that series of events, as this blog must remain PG-13. Long story short, Mom intervened, the goat lived, Dad's blood pressure has finally returned to normal.................Just another day in paradise.


 I think the thing that is most amusing to me is that from the outside looking in, my Dad appears to be the only one in our immediate family who has it together. Always the calm one. Always the one to think things through. Always the mediator. Truth be told, he is just as bat-shit crazy as the rest of us he just USUALLY camaflauges it better than we do.
____________________________________________________________________________________





On a side note, today was my two week weigh-in. Down 11 pounds since starting Nutrisystem. Overall, the food is still really good. There are a few meals that have been a little less than delicious but that it to be expected. I had a meatloaf platter last Friday that tasted exactly like tequila and stomach acid, which left a little but to be desired. 


I was worried that there would be little to no flexibility with this program, but the exact opposite is true.  I can still go out to eat. I am rarely hungry and if I want something, I eat it. Funny thing is, the healtier that you eat, the more you crave those healthy foods. I never thought I would say this but I like vegetables and kinda get excited for my afternoon fruit. Much different than my 3 o'clock trip to the vending machine. Glad to say that those days are over, forever.


Each and every day I feel a little bit better. I continue to walk every week day and bike several evenings a week. I know deep in my heart that this time is/will be different. I am still having trouble putting into words how I feel about it. It's difficult to describe, it's like each and every pound I lose off of my body lifts this gigantic weight that I've been carrying around off of my shoulders.



No comments:

Post a Comment