Friday, March 1, 2013

Whole 30

I've been doing a great deal of research on what the best eating plans consist of.. I've really been focusing on the Paleo-approach.I just finished reading, It Starts With Food by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig and Charles Hunt's, Eat Fat, Get Fit. Both focus on our dietary needs from a very primal standpoint.

So, today I started the Whole 30 plan. Basically, it removes sugar, artificial sweeteners, bread, grains, flours, alcohol, simple carbs, dairy and anything  processed from your diet for the next 30 days. There's a lot of mumbo-jumbo that goes along with it. I'll spare you the boring details. Pretty much, I am allowed to eat meat, non-starchy fresh vegetables, raw nuts, and fresh fruit. It also allows for oils such as EVOO and Coconut oil. This diet sounded so rational when I was reading the damn books, however, while I am actually living it, I am less than convinced. Day 1 apparently is an easy day.....Easy, my ass.

They say the hurdles comes with days 2-4. This is when your body is in some sort of wicked food hangover as it purges all the toxins and build-up from your system.....sexy..... Research shows that eating all the above listed food on the naughty, no-no list send our biological make-up into some sort of crisis state which leads to lots of potential complications.  Approximately, 16 hours in and I would auction off my first born for a Diet Mountain Dew.

I did some grocery shopping this afternoon. Shopping is not near as fun when you have to check the labels on absolutely everything..... Sometime take a look at the ingredients in some of your favorite foods. Chances are you can't pronounce half of them. Shouldn't we know what we are putting in out bodies?

Both books mentioned the use of coconut oil, for cooking, not sunbathing, of course. I was kind of hesitant to get any because it is kind of pricey and I wasn't sure I wanted to spend a lot of money on something I wasn't sure I was going to like. Today, I was pretty much a renegade, and decided to try it any way. OMG, I SURE AM GLAD I DID! It is absolutely delicious plus it smells like a day at the beach while it is heating up. I pan fried some salmon in it tonight.YUM!  I also made a lettuce salad with hard boiled egg, avocado, fresh salsa, and a dash of vinegar.  I'm attaching a picture at the end, cuz I think it's kind of pretty.

I'm being a tad melodramatic. It will all buff out. Get through the next few days and it will be smooth sailing....

P.S. I really could use a beer. :)




Supper-Day 1



2 comments:

  1. Laura, proud of you for doing what is best for your body!! I just finished my Whole30 - and I was very unkind the first week. The second day I only had the courage to keep going because I didn't want to re-do day one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't have been brave enough to even start without your mom. She was telling me how much success you were having on your Whole30. Did you struggle much with cravings after the first week?

    ReplyDelete