Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Runaway Days

"Kid, let me tell you what the secret to life is," she said, looking me straight in the eyes. I looked up and smiled. It doesn't matter that I am 28 years old, I think I am always going to be a person people refer to as, "Kid" and I am completely okay with it. Without any further hesitation, I put what I was doing down. Anticipating that the next thing out of her mouth would most definitely be a pearl of wisdom, I gave her my full attention.

Boy, was I right.

"The secret to life is to stop making plans. You gotta be willing to stop everything that you think needs to be done and go out and live a little. The dishes will be there tomorrow. Your work, it will be there tomorrow. The bills, they will be there. Live, Kid, you gotta live, that's the secret, simple as that."

Some of the greatest life lessons have came in moments like this.

"Kid, some of the best memories I have are when my husband and I would take off for the day on an adventure like we didn't have a care in the world. A full day with absolutely no plans. Those are what we call Runaway Days. We didn't have a lot of money but we sure made up for it in memories. And Kid, that's what gets me through times like today."

Having just met this woman, I was honored that she chose me to share these wise words  that reverberated in my soul.

"When's the last time you had a Runaway Day, Kid? You look like you could use one."

She patted my shoulder and then with that she walked out of the room.

I guess, I've always kind of considered myself a pretty go-with-the-flow kind of gal, but in all honesty, I don't think I've ever had a day like that.

That needs to change.

Life hasn't been exactly going in my favor lately. Perhaps, it's time for the pity party to cease. Maybe a few Runaway Days are just the trick...

Live life while there is still life to be lived.

Do something that you've never done before.

Stop scheduling everything.

Be a little outrageous.

Love who/what you want.

Don't be so damn hard on yourself. You're doing the best you can.

Don't make work your life.

Do something that just absolutely scares the shit out of you.

Be willing to see the beauty in all things. It's there. Just look.

Don't rely on anyone else for your happiness. Make your own.

If someone wants to share their story with you, give them your full attention. A few simple words have the power to change your whole perspective. Listen.

In closing, I want to pose the same question to you: just when was the last time you had a Runaway Day?

You look like you could use one.



















































No comments:

Post a Comment